|Job Description : |
Police Officer - Part-time
Position Title: Police Officer
Reports to: Chief of Police and/or Police Sergeant
EXAMPLES OF WORK:
Under the supervision of the Chief of Police and/or the Police Sergeant, the Police Officer performs duties in the protection of life and property and the preservation of order in Oxford, Kansas. The employee shall enforce all Federal, State, County and local laws in accordance with department rules and regulations. Patrol duties include enforcing traffic laws, investigation of crimes and accidents, apprehension and detainment or arrest of criminal offenders and providing public assistance. The employee will be required to exercise initiative and discretion when faced with emergency situations. This work involves an element of personal danger.
No experience necessary however applicants with prior law enforcement experience and/or KS-CPOST/KLETC certification will be provided preference in the selection process.
(1) Possess a valid driver’s license with acceptable driving record;
(2) Be a United States citizen and reside within reasonable distance of the City of Oxford, KS;
(3) Be at least 21 years of age;
(4) Be free of any physical or mental condition which adversely affects the ability to perform the essential functions of a police officer or law enforcement officer with reasonable skill, safety and judgment;
(5) Not have been convicted of a crime that would constitute a felony under the laws of this state, a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence or a misdemeanor offense that negatively reflects on the honesty, trustworthiness, integrity or competence of the applicant as defined by rules and regulations of the Kansas Commission on Peace Officers' Standards and Training.
(6) Be of good moral character sufficient to warrant the public trust in the applicant as a police officer or law enforcement officer. No Brady/Giglio Disclosure Requirements.
(7) Submit to an extensive background investigation including previous employment history, references (both listed and unlisted), criminal history, and driving record in addition to a psychological examination, physical examination, and drug screen.
(8) Possess the ability to satisfactorily complete all required initial/annual training certification and firearms testing and qualification and retain same throughout duration of employment.
(A) Graduated from a high school accredited by the Kansas state board of education or the appropriate accrediting agency of another state jurisdiction;
(B) Obtained a high school education from a non-accredited private secondary school as defined in K.S.A. 2017 Supp. 72-4345, and amendments thereto; or
(C) Obtained the equivalent of a high school education as defined by rules and regulations of the commission;
(A) Working knowledge of the criminal justice system at the municipal, state, and federal levels.
(B) Working knowledge of all aspects of police work, including modern crime prevention, investigation techniques, criminal identification, apprehension, detention, rules of evidence, traffic control and safety, and record keeping.
(C) Skill in effective, clear and persuasive oral and written communications to individuals and groups.
(D) Skill in resolving conflicts and gaining cooperation among competing interest groups.
(E) Must have the flexibility and commitment to attending and successfully completing the in-residence two-week Part-time Police Officer Academy held at the Kansas Law Enforcement Training Center located near Hutchinson, Kansas.
Beginning Wage: $10.00-$13.00 per hour depending on qualifications;
Progressive employee pay plan;